Monday, June 30, 2014

Sreepada Sreevallabha Charitaamrutam - 3

Chapter 3
Shankar Bhatt meets PalaniswamyHis visit to Kuruvapuram
The efficacy of constant meditation about Sreepada Sreevallabha
 
I started from Vichitrapuram due to the mercy of Sreepada Sreevallabha. My mind was eager to visit Parameswara in Chidambaram. My travel continued for three days in a happy way. I was getting food without asking for it. On thefourth day I stood at the threshold of a brahmin’s house and begged for food.
A ferocious house wife came out of the house and yelled that there was no food. I waited for sometime outside the house. The house holder came out and said, “I am not fortunate enough to extend hospitality to guests and visitors. My wife is a great shrew. When she gets angry she breaks earthen pots on my head. In this matter my wife and the wife of my guru stand on an equal footing. However, there is one difference. My wife demands from me the costs of pots broken but, the wife of my guru does not harass him in that manner. Just now some pots are broken on my head. There is no dearth of food and water in our house but, I must compulsorily reimburse the cost of broken pots immediately. This is very troublesome to me. If I could get today some money distributed during religious functions as sambhaavana there would be no trouble. If it is not possible I must borrow it from someone. I must repay the loan whenever I get money through sambhaavanas (monetary honorariums). Out of the money received by way of sambhaavanas, I use a portion of it for repayment of debts and the rest is handed over to her. This system continued for some time. In the recent times she is taking away all the amount of sambhaavanas. Therefore, there is no way to repay the loans. People who know my position are not coming forward to offer me any loan. They are asking me, “How do you repay the loans? Are you thinking that you can repay the debts when you receive money through
sambhaavanas ? That way is also closed now.” As I was rich no one was giving any donation.On the other hand, they were ridiculing me. Now I must pay the cost of broken pots. After scolding you sharply, my wife called me inside the house and said, “There is a pilgrim in the street. You go along with him and bring donation received at any place. Then only you will receive food in the house.” Then that hen-pecked husband told me that he would come along with me. He said that he knew very well all the houses of the brahmins in the village and that they might get meals as well as money as dakshina(a monetary offering). I was taken aback. I thought “Sreepadaa! Sreevallabhaa! What is this horrible test?” I went to each and every house in that village of brahmins in the company of that brahmin. No one offered any meals not to speak of offering any financial help. Then that brahmin who accompanied me lamented, “Till now I am only unlucky. As you joined with me your fortune was also lost and you also became unlucky.” Then I told him “Sree Dattatreya is the omnipotent Lord Who provides food to all creatures! He dwells in Kuruvapuram in this kali yuga assuming the name and form of Sreepada Sreevallabha.I am going there to see Him. Let us sit in the foot of that audumbara tree chanting His name. Let us leave it to the Mercy of Sree Datta.” That brahmin agreed to that. Hunger was scorching in the stomach. We were chanting the name of Sreepada Sreevallabha in a feeble voice. While we were continuing the chant of the name of Sreepada servitors of the King approached us and submitted, “Sirs! Yuvaraja got speech. Dumbness was also removed. The King ordered us to immediately bring you. Therefore, you please come along with us.” I could not disclose our miserable plight to those royal servants. I told them that I could not come alone and that they should take my companion also along with me. The servants of the King agreed to that. They took us seated on the backs of horses with all respect. Seeing this, the residents of the agrahaaram (village inhabited mainly by brahmins) put their fingers on their noses in utter amazement. The Maharaaja said, “Mahaatmaa! Even after knowing that you are a great scholar I sent you with empty hands without honouring you. After you left the prince fell unconscious. We did number of services to him. After a long time he opened his eyes and began uttering “Sreepada Vallabha Digambaraa! Sree Dattadeva Digambaraa!” The prince disclosed that a very tall, extremely handsome Yogi of sixteen years appeared and placed holy ash in his mouth. Who is that Yogi? Where is his residence? What is the relationship between Lord Sree Datta and that Yogi? Kindly tell.”  
I submitted with humility, “In what way can I describe the glory of Sreepada Sreevallabha? He is actually an incarnation of Lord Datta. His form of incarnation is very extraordinary as that of the incarnation of Sree Krishna. What I heard about Him is only very little! I am travelling to Kuruvapuram to have His darshan. I am visiting sacred places and holy men on the way.” 
The learned people of Vichitrapuram wondered at this strange happening. They praised Sreevallabha Swamy in various ways because the King got good nature, they were
rid of the troubles and that their Yuvaraaja’s mutism was cured on account of their austerities for forty days.The King honoured me with donation of gold. The King’s
preceptor said, “Sir, Wisdom dawned on me after so many days. I realised that ‘Saivaites’ by abusing Vishnu and  ‘Vaishnavites’ by abusing Shiva are only amassing sin and that no purpose is served. As aresult of our abusing God we experienced all troubles. With or without knowing we observed austerities for forty days for propitiating Lord Datta, thanks to the advice of Madhava Namboodri. We are very much indebted to you.”  When we took leave of them Madhava Namboodri also expressed his resolve to come along with us. We agreed. We three reached the village. We distributed the gold given to us by the King among the brahmins of that agraharam. The termagnant wife of my friend offered us food after receiving gold. She became a devotee of Sreepada Sreevallabha afterwards. She turned docile leaving her previous termagnant temperament. Madhava Namboodri and myself travelled towards Chidambaram. Sage Agastya took Parabrahma Sastry, a resident of Ryali village situated in the Godavari region, for the priesthood of DharmaSaasta Ayyappa Deva. In course of time vedic scholars from the village Namburu of Gartapuri (Guntur) were invited by the royal families ruling Malayala Desa (modern Kerala). Many brahmins left Namburu and propagated vedic knowledge in Malayala Desa. These people are called Namboodri brahmins. The ancestors of Aadi Shankara also belonged to Nambooru! Namboodri brahmins are famous for their religious observances and traditions; discipline and devotion; proficiency in mantra, tantra and yantra practices but Madhava Namboodri was an unlettered one. He was eking his livelihood working as a cook in the houses of some brahmins. He lost his parents in childhood. Close relations did not help him. He was having an unshakable devotion towards Lord Datta. After hearing about the incarnation of Sreepada Sreevallabha he was eager to visit Him as soon as possible. We heard that some great siddhas were there nearby Chidambaram. We visited Sri Palaniswamy, an old hermit leading a solitary life in the hills. When we arrived at the entrance of the cave Sri Palaniswamy who saw us greeted, “Both Madhava and Shankar are coming together? What a fortune!” We realised that he was a great siddhaa who could call us by own names even without any acquaintance. Merciful Sri Swamy said, “My sons! It is time to cast off this body and enter into a youthful body in accordance with the command of Sreepada Sreevallabha. The age of this body is 300 years. It is the order of Sreepada that I should leave this body and live for another 300 years in a new body.
Even the liberated ones during life, and those who crossed the circle of birth-death order of creation should return when Sreepada orders them to come back! The great resolve that administers the entire creation has incarnated in the form of Sreepada Sreevallabha. His descent will always take place in the subtle worlds of higher regions. To come in human form is rather rare. His is a comprehensive yogic incarnation. Incarnations emerging from a fraction of His infinite powers always take place on this earth to protect devotees.
My son! Shankara! You have mentioned about Sage Kaanaada and his theory of atoms in Vichitrapuram. Please explain in detail.”  The theory of atoms propounded by Sage Kaanaada“Swamee! Please excuse me. I know very little about Sage Kaanaada and his theory of atoms. Whatever I said also came out of my mouth without any effort from me. Swamy also knows that,” I replied.
The compassionate Sri Palaniswamy explained in the following manner. The entire creation is made up of superior atoms. Due to the existence of particles much finer than atoms, flow of electrical currents generate. Just as the various planets rotate in different orbits around sun these finer particles rotate with incredible velocity around their central point in their respective orbits. All the emotional vibrations of living creatures are much subtle than the finer particles. Nothing will remain constant in this pulsating Universe. Change is its nature. Changing every moment is its natural trait. The consciousness of Lord Datta is much more finer and subtle than the above vibrations. It is as much easy and also as much difficult to obtain His grace. When each atom or particle is divided adinfinitum each part of the atom becomes equivalent to a void. The combination of infinite maha soonyaas(great voids) results in this creation. Just as matter is created anti-matter which is entirely opposed to it also exists. When these two get mixed the anti-matter is extinguished. Matter can change its qualities and properties In the case of icons for worship they become alive and active after the ritual of installation of life force is performed. Then they are rendered capable of fulfilling the desires of devotees.All mantras originate in kundalini chakra.
All people think that Gayatri mantra has three lines, but, there is a fourth line for Gayatri mantra. It is ‘ Parorajasi Saavadom’. This four lined Gayatri mantr indicates formless Brahmam(God). Kundalini sakthi creates this Universe with 24 traits. In Gayatri also there are 24 letters. Number 24 is also called ‘Gokulam’. ‘Go’ stands for 2 and ‘Kulam’stands for 4. The form of Brahmam is beyond all changes and therefore, it is indicated by the number 9. Number 8 is a form of maha maaya. Sreepada Sreevallabha was asking people whom He liked “Do Chowpaati Dev Lakshmi.”Parabrahma is the Lord of all. He is the Pati of all. So the Lord ‘Patidev’ stands for number 9, Lakshmi stands for number 8, ‘Do’ stands for number 2, and ‘Chow’ represents number 4. Instead asking
for two chapathis (cakes made of wheat flour), He was asking strangely in a corrupted manner ‘Do Chowpaati Dev Lakshmi’ In this manner He was reminding the living beings about the mysterious number 2, 4, 9, 8. The Parabrahmam (the Supreme Lord) and the Paraashakti (the supreme primordial force) of the Gokulam reside in the form of Sreepada Sreevallabha.Please note that Lord Sree Krishna is Sreevallabha Him-self.We recognise that theGayatri mantra took the shape of His formless sandals.
“My son! Shankaraa! In the gross human body twelve kinds of variations exist. The gross body which can be experienced by all is subjected to the influence of gross Sun. Through the practice of kriya yoga discipline one can obtain bodies with more and more subtler variations. These bodies of twelve different variations are under the influence of dwaadasa aadityas(twelve aadityas).However, as Sreevallabha is far superior to dwaadasas aadityas,
His divine gross body is endowed with wonderful divine vibrations. Even before His descent with human body in Sree Pithikapuram Sreevallabha arrived in this place 108 years ago. He blessed me. He came here in the same form as He is now in Kuruvapuram.
Where is the end to His divine plays? Sometime after Sreevallabha came here, great sages of Himalayas worshipped Sri Badari Narayana in the great holy place Badari with Brahmakamala flowers. I observed that all those Brahmakamala flowers were falling on the auspicious Feet of Sreepada. He is beyond time and space.” Sri Palaniswamy concluded his narration.  
I had an undefinable experience on hearing the sacred sayings of Sri Palaniswamy. I requested him, “Swamee! What are Brahmakamalas? Where are they available? I gather from your words that Lord Datta would be elated if worshipped with them. Kindly clear my doubts.” 
 
Description of Brahmakamala flowers.
 
 Sri Palaniswamy in reply to my query extended his merciful looks on me and said,“Sree Maha Vishnu worshipped Sadashiva with Brahmakamalas. That which was mentioned as the lotus springing from the navel of Sree Maha Vishnu is also Brahmakamala.
If Sree Datta is worshipped with lotus flowers material and spiritual wealth will be achieved.As replicas of the Brahmakamalas in the celestial world, Brahmakamalas are found on earth in Himalayas at an altitude of 12,000 feet. These blossoms bloom once in a year. My Son! They blossom forth only during midnight. This is another wonder. When it blooms an excellent fragrance wafts over the entire area. All the great spiritual aspirants in Himalayas eagerly wait days and months to witness this rare spectacle. From Autumn to Spring season the flowers remains buried in snow. In the beginning of Chaitra month the flowers spring out of the snow. The process of blooming takes place during entire summer. The flowers fully blossom during midnight by the time of Sravana Suddha Poornima (The full moon day of the first fortnight of the month Sravana). It is at this time that the snowy Shiva Linga of Amarnath becomes visible. My Child! Shankaraa! This wonderful miracle takes place now and forever for the benefit of spiritual seekers, great sages and siddhas living in Himalayas.
All sins get destroyed by looking at the Brahmakamalas. Obstacles to yoga cease. This miracle confers instantaneous results. Therefore, yogis and ascetics attain higher status in their respective paths. After it blooms the Brahmakamala flower disappears, after all those who were destined to see it had completely seen it.
My Son! Shankaraa! I want to remain for ten days in complete penance. If any distressed people come here, yourself and Madhava have to arrange for their darshan without causing disturbance to my deep meditation. If any dead one bitten by a snake is brought here tell the people who brought the body as my order that they should leave the body in the waters of a river or that they should bury the corpse in the earth.” 
 Sri Palaniswamy seated there went into a samaadhi through penance. Myself and Madhava were arranging his darshan to distressed devotees in a calm manner. Some of the devotees supplied us with food materials. Madhava said that he would start cooking with the fallen branch of a coconut tree nearby. I agreed. Madhava went with another person. As irony of fate would have it, a cobra hiding behind the bough of the coconut tree, had bitten Madhava when he lifted the coconut branch to carry it. Three persons brought Madhava to the cave. As the command of Swamy cannot be violated I buried the body of Madhava. People of that place cooperated with me. I sobbed. The pure heart, pure devotion, unshakable faith on Sreepada Sreevallabha of Madhava came to my mind and I became very much perturbed. I consoled myself that destiny could not be avoided. After this sad incident I witnessed another unfortunate incident. The relatives of a young person aged about 18 years brought his body. They were crying and shouting with sorrow. The youth also died of snake bite. I informed that Swamijee was in yoga samaadhi and that they should bury the body in accordance with the orders of Swamijee. The devotees there informed the visitors that my friend also died in a similar manner and that his body was also buried following the orders of Swamijee. The distressed people became crest fallen and were blaming their misfortune in many ways. Under the unavoidable conditions they buried the new youth. Every day three or four people used to visit Swamijee. They used to see Swamijee who was in a state of samaadhi in a calm manner, and were leaving without any disturbance. Ten days passed like this. On the eleventh day consciousness was marked in Sri Palaniswamy. In the ‘braahmi muhurtha’ (wee hours i.e. early hours of the day between 3-00 a.m. to 5-00 a.m.) Sri Swamy became fully conscious and called Madhava. I narrated to him all that happened, sobbing and crying. Then Swamy consoled me and looked at me with his yogic power. That yogic look caused a great movement in my spinal cord and created an unbearable pain. Sri Swamy saw me again with placid looks. My pain disappeared. He said, “My child! Madhava does not have the fortune of seeing Sreevallabha with physical body. For the last ten days his subtle body is in Kuruvapuram in the presence of Sreepada. His desire is fulfilled irrespective of what had happened. The sportive plays of Sreevallabha are unimaginable. No one can comprehend the mysteries of time, fate and causes. That is possible only for Sreepada. Sreepada has entrusted me the responsibility of introducing life of Madhava into his gross body. We must perform that task immediately.” 
All the grief which gripped hitherto disappeared in a moment. What more did I want than Madhava regaining life? We came to the place where Madhava was buried. The corpse was exhumed. I was assisted by two other persons. Swamy asked us to move towards the group of palmyra trees on the southern side and cry aloud, “Oh King Cobra that had bitten Madhava! It is ordered that you should come to the presence of Sri Palaniswamy. This is thecommand of Sreepada Sreevallabha.” We followed the instructions of Sri Palaniswamy carefully. Sri Palaniswamy took four tiny sea shells from his loin cloth. They were placed on four sides of the corpse. After sometime they rose from the ground to some height. Afterwards they flew into the sky speedily in four directions making a fluttering sound. We saw a hissing Cobra crawling on the ground after sometime. That snake was very much restless. The four sea shells of Sri Palaniswamy were fixed as if glued on its hood. Sri Palaniswamy asked the snake to remove the poison from the body of Madhava. The snake sucked out the poison from the point in the body where it had bitten Madhava. Chanting the name of Sreepada Sreevallabha, Sri Palaniswamy sprinkled water charged with mantra on the snake. The snake kissed the feet of Sri Palaniswamy, circumambulated thrice and retreated peacefully.
The good results earned by offering food to devotees of Datta .
 
Sri Palaniswamy said, “This serpent was a female in a previous life. She became old.She earned some sin and also some virtue. Once she offered some food to a brahmin who was a devotee of Datta. It is the nature of Datta to be pleased easily. The lady went toYama Loka after her death. YamadharmaRaja asked her, “You have earned some papa(sin) and some punya(virtuous merit). As you offered food to a brahmin who was a Datta devotee you got very great benefit. At present Sree Dattatreya lives in the human world in the form of Sreepada Sreevallabha. He ordered us to make changes in your account of paapa-punyas so that you gain great merit and take less sin. So Chitragupta made changes in your account. Do you want to experience the results of sin at first or enjoy the happiness of punya? For this she replied that she would like to undergo at first the suffering on account of the small account of sins and that she would enjoy the life resulting from punya later. Therefore, she took birth as a snake on this earth. As she was having a mentality of harming others she was biting all those who crossed her way. So she is accumulating more sin. My son! There are four classes of snakes. The first type of snakes will not harm anyone but simply take air as food and live like yogis. Second type of snakes kill those whose shadow fall on them. They become angry when the shadow of any one falls on them. The third class of serpents try to keep away from the view of humans. They run away with fear if any person comes face to face with them. The fourth class of snakes take a revengeful attitude against anyone and bite him even though no harm is caused to them by the person concerned. That old lady was filled with rajo guna. So she bit Madhava who came nearby.She had bitten him due to her previous punya. Madhava lost his life because of sin earned in his previous life. That old woman was liberated from her serpent life soon and attained a higher world. As an embryo jeeva lies in the form of snake. On account of naaga dosha (an affliction caused due to the wrong done to a serpent) mortality of children takes place.” 
 
The merit of donating food to worthy people.
 
“Sree Datta feels happy at tender services. If food is provided in the name of Datta to a worthy person the donor derives immense benefit. A portion of the food essence transforms into mind. Mind, intellect, will, ego and body of the donor of the food gets filled with auspicious vibrations. By that he will be endowed with the power to attract all objects in the creation. Bountiful plenitude of materials comes from the grace of Goddess Mahalakshmi.
The whole creation is governed by subtle vibrations, and fine regulation.” Sri Palaniswamy explained at length.
The Greatness of Sreepada.
How much blessing of Sri Lakshmi showers on chanting the name of Sreepada! How can we describe the luck of those who obtained His grace! On account of the mercy of Sreepada, Madhava remained intact even though he was buried in the ground ten days ago. Now Sreepada is granting him life force. In what way can we describe His mercy, compassion and the divine miracle? Madhava was gaining consciousness. He asked water for quenching thirst. Sri Palaniswamy cajoled him and made him drink ghee. That ghee was also one hundred years old. Madhava refused to drink ghee. Sri Palaniswamy persuaded him by promising to give water after he drank ghee. After Madhava drank ghee completely, he was given fruit juice. After some time water was given to him.
Description of Naaga Loka
Madhava regained his life. Our joy knew no bounds. Madhava was telling thus, “I reached Kuruvapuram in subtle form.Sreepada Sreevallabha is very tall. He is having large eyes. Compassion, mercy and love are overflowing from His eyes continuously towards all creatures.As I was in a subtle body I was invisible to other devotees there who were in gross bodies. Sreevallabha ordered me to move to a central portion of an island in Kuruvapuram. Chanting the name of Sreevallabha I went into the depths of the central point of the island. I found that many mansions existed in the epicentre of the inner depths of the earth. I learnt that it was Paataala Loka(the nether world). For those in gross bodies only gross material form will be visible. For those like me who go there in subtle form subtle world is visible there. The inhabitants there belong to naaga race. They can assume any form. They have the power to take any form they like. Generally they would like to move as serpents. I saw many great serpents there. Some serpents have thousands of hoods. Diamonds decorated the hoods. Light is emitted from those diamonds. Some serpents remained in a posture of deep silence and appeared as if they were in a yogic trance. A wonder! There was a great serpent among them. It was having thousands of hoods. On that serpent Sreepada Sreevallabha was resting like Sree Maha Vishnu. Some of the great snakes were reciting vedic hymns. Sreepada was listening that melodious singing in a rapturous mood. A big serpent by my side was telling me this. 
 
The magnificent glory of Sree Dattatreya 
 
In the ancient aeon, Lord Datta was born as a son of Atri and Anasuya on Anasuya mountain in Chitrakoot of Nepal. He did not end His incarnation but moved in a subtle form in the Nilagiri mountain, SreeShaila mountain, Sabaragiri hill and Sahyadri. Those who wear directions as robe, those who are sky vested are famous as Digambaras. Datta was absorbed in Yoga in Sahyadri. He taught kriya yoga to Gorakshanaath who was a follower of‘Naatha’ tradition. He appeared in a formless yogic form seated in ‘Kechari Mudra’ (an aerial sign or seal). He surpasses time and place. For us who are in the presence of the Lord: past, future and present time elements do not appear differently. Everything is an eternal
present time for us.” 
Viewing Dattatreya along with Anaghaa Devi Another great serpent by my side said, “My boy! Madhavaa! We are
kaala naagas(serpents of a special class) and we are called
rusheeswaras(great hermits). Sree Datta wanted to conceal Himself after ruling over the universe for many thousands of years. He went under water in a river and remained immersed in water for many years. After a lapse of many years He came above the surface of the water. We who were His followers remained there with the hope that He would return with us. We knew that He was trying to conceal Himself from us. He again dived into the water and came out after many years. However, this time there was a goblet of wine in His hand. In another hand He held a beautiful damsel of sixteen years. We mistook Him as a drunkard and one enamoured by women and thought that we were deluded in thinking such a person as God all the time. With that misconception in mind we departed from that place. He disappeared. After He disappeared wisdom dawned on us. It occurred to us that the goblet of wine in His hand was ambrosia of yogic ecstasy and the beautiful damsel was Anagha Lakshmi Devi who combined in Herself the triumvirate of Lakshmi, Parvati and Saraswati. We undertook a rigorous penance to obtain His reincarnation on this earth. Sree Datta was compassionate and took the incarnation of Sreepada Sreevallabha in Sree Pithikapuram.
Description of Sree Kuruvapuram
 
The place where He went into the water for bath is the sacred Kuruvapuram. Just as He was in watery samaadhi , we were also in a state of yogic samaadhi with finer pulsations in this subtle world. ‘Kuru’ was the ancestor of Kauravas and Paandavas. It was at this holy place that King Kuru was imparted divine knowledge. My child! Maadhavaa! Even AadiSesha cannot describe the greatness of Kuruvapuram.
The previous history of Sadasiva Brahmendra Swamy 
 
I paid obeisance to the auspicious Feet of Sreepada Sreevallabha. Merciful Sreevallabha spoke this, “My son!This divine and beautiful appearance of Mine is an extremely lucky phenomenon, which is rarely available.
One of the serpents that spoke with you will take birth as Jyoti Ramalingaswamy in the ensuing centuries. It will disappear also in the shape of radiant light. The other serpent that spoke to you will be born on the earth in the centuries to follow with the name of Sada Siva Brahmendra and demonstrate many miracles.
Sree Pithikapuram is very dear to me. My divine Paadukas (holy Sandals) will be installed in Pithikapuram. My Paadukas are going to be installed in the house of My maternal grandfather where I was born. The acts of my birth are divine and mysterious.They are to be kept as carefully guarded secrets. You visit the place in Sree Pithikapuram where My Paadukas will be installed and from there proceed to Paataala Loka. There you meet the kaala naagas which undertook rigorous penance. You come back after that.” 
With smiles Sree Palaniswamy said, “My son! Madhavaa! Let us talk about ‘kaala naagas’ of Pithapuram afterwards. We must immediately take bath and carry on meditation.
This is the order of  Sreepada  Sreevallabha.”
 
Victory Victory unto Sri Sreepada Sreevallabha!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment